In early 2011 we conducted a literature search to find evidence-based guidelines, systematic reviews, meta analyses and randomised controlled trials from the last few years, to bridge the gap between the evidence-based summaries we published in 2007 and the present day. Listed below are the references that met our inclusion criteria:
- Rosa AR, Franco C, Martinez-Aran A, Sanchez-Moreno J, Salamero M, Valenti M, et al. Functional impairment and previous suicide attempts in bipolar disorder. Acta Neuropsychiatrica [serial on the Internet]. 2008: Available from: http://www.mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clcentral/articles/400/CN-00690400/frame.html
- Pompili M, Serafini G, Del Casale A, Rigucci S, Innamorati M, Girardi P, et al. Improving adherence in mood disorders: The struggle against relapse, recurrence and suicide risk. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics 9 (7) (pp 985-1004), 2009 Date of Publication: July 2009.
- Rutz EM, Wasserman D, Stain R. [Increased level of knowledge within suicide prevention wanted. A literature review of evidence-based studies]. [Review] [132 refs] [Swedish]. Lakartidningen. 2009 2009 May 20-Jun 2;106(21-22):1480-4.
- Rihmer Z. Pharmacological prevention of suicide in bipolar patients – A realizable target. Journal of Affective Disorders 103 (1-3) (pp 1-3), 2007 Date of Publication: Nov 2007.
- Muller-Oerlinghausen B. Pharmacological suicide prevention under special consideration of lithium salts. Psychiatrische Praxis, Supplement 34 (3) (pp S292-S295), 2007 Date of Publication: Sep 2007.
- Fountoulakis K, N, Gonda X, Siamouli M, Rihmer Z. Psychotherapeutic intervention and suicide risk reduction in bipolar disorder: A review of the evidence. Journal of Affective Disorders 113 (1-2) (pp 21-29), 2009 Date of Publication: February 2009.
- Kilbane E, J, Gokbayrak N, S, Galynker I, Cohen L, et al. A review of panic and suicide in bipolar disorder: Does comorbidity increase risk? Journal of Affective Disorders 115 (1-2) (pp 1-10), 2009 Date of Publication: May 2009.
- Self-mutilation is strongly associated with schizophrenia, but not with bipolar disorder. [References]. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry Vol44(7), Jul 2010, pp 677.
- Baldessarini R, J, Tondo L. Suicidal risks during treatment of bipolar disorder patients with lithium versus anticonvulsants. Pharmacopsychiatry 42 (2) (pp 72-75), 2009 Date of Publication: 2009.
- Novick D, M, Swartz H, A, Frank E. Suicide attempts in bipolar I and bipolar II disorder: A review and meta-analysis of the evidence. Bipolar Disorders 12 (1) (pp 1-9), 2010 Date of Publication: February 2010.
- Sakinofsky I. Treating suicidality in depressive illness. Part 2: does treatment cure or cause suicidality? Canadian journal of psychiatry Revue canadienne de psychiatrie 52 (6 Suppl 1) (pp 85S-101S), 2007 Date of Publication: Jun 2007.